Podcasts are a new and exciting way for people to get news and advice on a wide variety of topics: music, hobbies, sports, opinion, politics, health, and many others. Think of podcasts as short radio shows, which you can listen to on your computer or MP3 player (such as an Apple iPod® or Sandisk player) any time you want. You can subscribe to our Podcasts and have each show or ‘episode’ be automatically sent to you. You can also listen to the episodes one at a time. If you have a portable MP3 player, you can subscribe or download the Podcasts and take them wherever you go.
Getting started with our Podcasts is easy:
1. You will need a way to receive our Podcasts, which you can do by using a free:
- Desktop application, such as iTunes®, Yahoo Music Engine, Juice, or Doppler
- Web service, such as My Yahoo, Google, Podnova, or Newsgator
2. Once you have your application or service set up, you are ready to Subscribe to Our Podcast Archive. If you have an MP3 player, you can also use your MP3 player’s software to download the Podcasts and listen on the go.
3. You can also listen to individual episodes on your computer by going to the Podcast Library and choosing an episode. You can also right-click on the episode link and choose "Save Target As" to download to your computer for listening later or transferring to an MP3 player. For Mac users, hold the Ctrl key and click on the link, then choose “Save as” to download the track.
4. Most computers are able to play the MP3 files. If not, you can download music player software such as Windows Media Player, Winamp, or QuickTime to play the files.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're still having trouble, here are some additional tips.
What do I need to get started?
You will need a computer with access to the internet, broadband recommended. You will also need computer speakers to listen to the podcasts. An MP3 player lets you listen to podcasts wherever you go, but it is not required.
Do I need special software to listen to podcasts?
Special software is not required. Although you can download software for podcasts, you can also use a web service. See step 1 for examples. You will need music player software, which comes automatically installed on most computers. If you do not have such software, please see Step 3 for examples.
I click on ‘Listen’, but nothing happens. What do I do now?
The sound on your computer may have been muted and/or the volume turned down. Make sure your sound is turned on and the volume is at an adequate level. Also make sure that your computer speakers are turned on and the volume is turned up.
Your computer may not have the required music player software. See step 3 for examples.