Kaiser Permanente is pleased to offer a variety of unique options and tools to help you manage your weight.
Healthy Weight Online classes
Kaiser Permanente is now offering online weight management classes at no charge for members. In addition to classes for a general audience, we offer classes specifically designed for parents who want to lose weight. Participate from the comfort of home. All you need is a phone and a computer with Internet access.
Our Healthy Weight online classes will help you adopt healthier lifestyle habits. No traffic. No parking. No fees. No hassle. A facilitator will lead your online group discussion each week, providing a unique opportunity for you to discuss struggles, share ideas, and get support from others.
To start the Healthy Weight program, talk with a Kaiser Permanente wellness coach over the phone. We offer one-on-one support and motivation to help you develop a weight management plan that fits your needs and lifestyle. Your wellness coach will discuss your individual weight management goals and guide you to a variety of weight management resources.
Call 1-866-251-4514 (toll free), 6 am to midnight, to schedule a free wellness coaching appointment.
Our Online Health Coach program can help you find the motivation and tools you need to make lasting changes for the better. Become more physically active through our Let's Get Physical program, or improve your eating habits with our S.M.A.R.T. Eating program. Whichever program you choose, you’ll receive:
- Video coaching sessions sent right to your e-mail, so you can watch them at any time. Each session takes only 8 minutes to view. And you can review them over and over.
- Tips to help you set goals you can meet and support to help you stay on track.
- Extra materials you can download to your own computer to jump start your program and keep you focused.
Healthy Recipes by Dr. Preston Maring
Dr. Preston Maring, a Kaiser Permanente physician with Oakland Medical center, shares his recipes that feature fresh and healthy ingredients for salads, soups, entrees, desserts, and more. We're great believers in fresh fruits and vegetables. Not only are they good for you, but they can also help you lose weight. To make them more available to our community, we've opened farmers' markets where you can find high-quality, locally grown food at reasonable prices. Learn more about our farmers' markets and find one near you.
Healthy Lifestyles Programs
We offer online programs with personalized strategies to help you reach your goal weight. These programs are available at no cost to our members only. We encourage you to take a look and sign up today!
- Healthmedia Balance® - has personalized strategies for reaching your ideal weight with a program that's helped thousands of people lose weight and keep it off.
- Healthmedia Nourish® - has personalized strategies for making smart and delicious food choices to increase energy, manage weight, and live a longer, healthier life.
- Healthmedia Succeed® - has personalized strategies for making behavioral changes to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Weight Management - Featured Health Topic
Our featured health topic on our member website provides a wealth of information on weight management, including:
- healthy weight
- enjoying food
- staying active
- eating and emotions
This self-guided program includes a packet of information, tools and activities to help you reach and attain your weight management goals. You can complete the program on your own at home. The packet of program materials is available at most health education departments for about $15.00.
10,000 Steps® Program
Being physically active may be the most important key to successful weight loss and maintenance. Walking as much as possible each day (ideally 10,000 steps) is an easy, affordable way to get enough physical activity. Wearing a pedometer (or "step counter") helps you monitor your walking, set walking goals and see your success. Our 10,000 Steps® is an online program that provides a wealth of tools and support to help you walk more, get fit and work toward your weight loss goals. Click here for more information or to sign up:
Classes and Programs at Kaiser Permanente
Health Education Classes
Kaiser Permanente has well-trained instructors and excellent classes that have helped thousands of members lose weight and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. You can search for a class at your local Kaiser Permanente facility. You can also contact the Health Education Department directly for more information on resources in your area.
Individual Counseling with a Clinical Health Educator
At many Kaiser Permanente facilities, members can arrange to have personalized, one-on-one weight management counseling from an experienced clinical health educator. To schedule an appointment, you can either talk to your primary care provider contact your local Health Education Department directly.
Medical Weight Management Program
If you have at least 40 pounds to lose and have already tried various diets that didn't work, the Medical Weight Management program might be the answer for you. Our program features low-calorie Optifast® meal replacements, medical supervision and weekly group sessions with behavioral and nutritional advice. Plus, you'll get long-term support with a personal weight coach. For more information, visit us on-line and sign-up for one of our free orientation sessions. This program is an elective service and is not covered by Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc.
Weight loss surgery (gastric bypass/bariatric surgery)
Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure to make the stomach smaller to limit food intake. If you are interested in exploring the option of weight loss surgery and whether it is right for you as a tool for weight loss, read our Weight Loss Surgery E-Handout and consult your primary care physician.
Discounted weight management programs for KP members
In addition to the wide variety of health resources offered by Kaiser Permanente, as a member in California, you have access to discounts on health products and services. Healthyroads is a comprehensive health Web site offering a directory of complementary health care providers, information about complementary health services, and discounts on health and wellness products including:
- chiropractic care
- massage therapy services
You also receive preferred low rates on:
- fitness club memberships
- herbs, vitamins, and supplements
- health and fitness books and videos
Visit Healthyroads to search for complementary health information, shop for health products at the online store, or locate a complementary provider.
- At Home Kit -- The At Home Kit is ideal for participants who choose not to attend meetings. The kit includes program materials, bonus products, and 26 weeks of telephone assistance. This At Home Kit costs $119.00 (less than $4.75 per week).
- Online Subscription -- Weight Watchers® Online subscription is ideal for participants who choose not to attend meetings and who have access to the Internet. On the Weight Watchers® Web site, participants may follow the plan step by step, with interactive tools, tips and recipes. The annual subscription cost is $166.70 (less than $3.50 per week).
For more information on the Weight Watchers® options, please visit: kp.org/weight watchers or call 1-866-639-3300
Pamphlets and Brochures
We also offer helpful pamphlets and brochures which are accessible from your computer. Simply click on the pamphlet name below to access a printable version:
*If you are unable to view these documents, you will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Other Web Resources
Kaiser Permanente does not specifically recommend or endorse any of the organizations or groups listed, but simply lists them here as possible resources that may be helpful for you.
- Shape Up - Balanced weight-loss program including lifestyle modification and individualized diets.
- Eatright.org - Website of the American Dietetics Association providing information on nutrition, healthy eating and additional resources.
Schedule an appointment: If you would like to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or another health care professional to discuss weight-related issues, click here to link to appointment scheduling.